Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lentil, broccoli and mushroom stew

Having noticed The Cookbook hadn’t been posted to for a little while, I thought I would get organised and finally post one I’ve been meaning to a for while now. And it looks like Meegs had the same idea!

Here’s a super-easy one that’s fairly nutritious and something a bit different.

25g butter
6 shallots, finely slices
1 clove garlic, chopped
100g mushrooms, sliced
125g green lentils
1 vegetable stock cube, made up with 600ml water
100ml white wine
1 red pepper, sliced
freshly ground black pepper
200g broccoli, small florets
2 tablespoons single cream

1. Melt the butter over a moderate heat and fry the shallots with the garlic. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add the lentils, vegetable stock and white wine. Season well.

3. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the pepper, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for a further 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding more water if necessary.

4. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and stir in the single cream before serving.

I served it with rice, but crusty bread would be just as good.

3 comments:

Cath said...

Thanks for the new recipes Michelle and Meegs. I'll be trying all three of them this week!

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

That sounds delicious Shelle!
Now, if only I can convince Marc to just try lentils!

Michelle said...

Yeah, i must admit this is the one I cooked for myself when Ben was away. Not his cup of tea either!